It is an age specific speciality that provides primary and comprehensive prevention and therapeutic oral health care for children. It is a combination of several areas all related to the dental health of children. A healthy mouth, if maintained in infancy, will develop into a healthy environment for permanent teeth. Maintenance of good oral hygiene should begin even before the eruption of the first tooth by gently wiping the baby’s gums and cheeks after feeding. After the eruption of the first tooth, a small, soft bristled toothbrush can be used.
While treating children, our primary aim would be to provide maximum comfort to both the child and the parent / guardian, who may enter the clinical area as and when the treatment procedures are being performed.
Common treatment procedures in paediatric dentistry :
- Fluoride application for prevention of decay
- Pit & fissure sealant application for blocking deep pits & fissures of teeth to prevent decay
- Fluoride fillings in case of decay
- Orthodontic assessment to examine if the child will need orthodontic treatment (braces) in the future by assessing the childs jaw growth and treating the root cause.
- Habit breaking appliances for correction of habits like thumb-sucking, mouth breathing, tongue –thrusting etc
- Space maintainers to allow permanent teeth to erupt in the natural position especially if the milk teeth shed off early or had to been extracted
- Scaling and polishing of teeth
- Re – enforcement of dental health care measures that need to carried out at home by the patient in order to maintain good oral hygiene